The Sober & Lonely Institute for Contemporary Art will occupy a 1.72 x 1.72 x 1.62m space at the Visual Arts Network of South Africa (VANSA) for a three month period, starting 6 June 2012.

SLICA will use this space for a new project called
FOR KARL KRALL: A QUANTIFIABLE EXPERIMENT IN TELEPATHIC THOUGHT TRANSFERAL. Participants from outside of Johannesburg have been invited to telepathically send through images, ideas, or plans for artworks to Sober & Lonely at the VANSA space, at a specific time allocated to each artist. Sober & Lonely will capture these transfers and attempt to create a reasonable facsimile in the space, using the R15 allocated to each manifestation. The artist/participant will select the next artist/participant for the project, and so on – thus creating the possibility of an uncontrolled and unmediated telepathic network.

The project hopes to expand VANSA and Sober & Lonely’s shared interests in creating global and local networks and facilitating experimentation in the arts.

Wednesday 1 August 2012

Experiment Six: Sonya Masinovsky

SENT - As you may know, I've been thinking a lot about the moon.
I have also been thinking about rituals.
And if I'm honest, I have also been thinking about love.

I think about the moon because of my mother.  My mother has a deep and relentless relationship to astrology. Her research on the matter is in depth, and has spanned the course of multiple decades.  When I was in high school, she also became interested in Feng Shui and Tarot card readings.  

In terms of auspicious and inauspicious astrological conditions, my mother is predominantly interested in whether the moon is void of course.  According to www.lunarliving.com, one can define a lunar void as such: 
The Void-of-Course (VOC) is similar to a short-lived rest or a recuperation period for the Moon before it starts on its next emotional path into the fresh astrological sign.
In more technical terms, the moon is considered void when it is in transit from one star sign to another.  

This morning, my mother forwarded me an e-mail from Astrology.com, which offers a service that will provide you with daily Feng Shui tips! Sometimes, when she stumbles across something that she deems as relevant (helpful) to my life, my mother will forward these tips to me.  July 20th's tip concerned an ancient Chinese ritual:
On the fifteenth day after the lunar New Moon when the moon shines bright and the yin Chi is at its most powerful, single ladies looking to find the perfect partner should throw ripe oranges into any body of moving water.

As I mentioned, I've been thinking about the moon a lot.
I was thinking about the moon as part of an art project.
I was also thinking about rituals.
I was also thinking about love.
When I received this e-mail, the message I wanted to send became clear.


I turned off all the lights, turned on a fan, and closed the blinds.  I went into my dark closet and sat there.

I thought the following things:
ORANGE. WATER. WOMEN. MOON.

I visualized a silver platter filled with perfectly ripe oranges being thrown into a fountain.  
I visualized a row of women wearing the same dress throwing oranges into the sea.

But the crux of this project, the only parts that matter are the four elements:
Orange. Water. Women. Moon. Sonya Masinovsky, Los Angeles

RECIEVED
Robyn saw: 
I saw a storm cloud - a dorky one - cardboard with lighting stroke
then the light from the cloud - very dark with areas of glowing light where the sun bursts through
a black image in the mind - white light shining through

Lauren saw: 
A big fluffy cloud
A rainbow vomiting out of it, like a tail
A place for two people to stand underneath with the cloud as a hat 
SLICA, Los Angeles & Johannesburg


1 comment:

  1. This made me smile. I think I'll go throw some ripe oranges into the sea.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive